During pregnancy the changes the physical and hormonal changes affect many parts of our body and also the hair suffers them. To control and prevent hair loss during pregnancy and postpartum we want to help you by giving you advice to take care of your hair. We also inform you of the appropriate hair treatments for hair loss caused by hormonal changes!
How does pregnancy affect my hair?
Hair loss that occurs in women during pregnancy and post-pact is known as "Telogen efluvium" and is produced both by hormonal changes and deficiencies of some substances such as iron.
During pregnancy, placental hormones can act in two ways on our hair:
- On the one hand they can grease it, weaken it and make its appearance worse. This usually happens to women who have oily hair before pregnancy.
- Improve it, strengthen it and increase its brightness. This is more common among women with dry hair before pregnancy.
But keep in mind that there is no clear rule of how it affects you. Which affect in one way or another depends on each woman and each phase of pregnancy.
Why does hair loss occur during postpartum?
A very frequent hair problem in the postpartum period is hair loss. This occurs because hormonal changes affect the hair follicle and growth slows.
The organism during pregnancy alone balances so that the cells of the fetus develop in a proper way. That is, a body balance is needed and the hormones balance it. Once the pregnancy is over, the cells return to their previous state and that is when an excessive fall occurs.
Generally the hair returns to its normal cycle after six months after delivery although sometimes it does not occur after this time due to different factors such as stress, blood loss or breastfeeding.
Tips to prevent hair loss during pregnancy and postpartum
- The feeding is very important also for our hair since it also feeds on the food we eat. Eating a balanced diet will provide our hair with the vitamins, iron, zinc and proteins it needs.
- When it comes to washing your hair it is very important massage the scalp to stimulate blood flow in this area and get the necessary oxygen and nutrients to arrive. To activate the circulation in the scalp you can also help with utensils such as DermaRoller.
- Use products designed for your hair type and brands professionals. Products purchased on large surfaces can weaken your hair and cause and aggravate hair problems.
- Pay more attention when your hair is wet since it is the moment when it is more fragile and elastic. Comb it gently, do not rub it and avoid drying it with the very hot dryer whenever you can. If you need to do so, apply a thermal hair protector.
- If during pregnancy you want to dye your hair you can do it with organic dyes or without ammonia.
- Avoid very tight hairstyles.
Treatments for hair loss during postpartum
As we have told you about hair loss during postpartum It usually stops after six months but you can shorten the period and avoid prolonging it for longer with very effective hair treatments, which together with the appropriate machinery, act on the scalp by reactivating the hair follicles so that the growth cycle of the hair regain.
We also want to tell you that the ideal is to perform these treatments before pregnancy. In this way we achieve that the scalp is balanced before and does not allow a subsequent imbalance. With them we will avoid this hair loss both during pregnancy and postpartum.
In Beltrán Centers we are experts in solving all types of hair problems so if you have any questions or if you want a free test and diagnosis of your hair, contact us!