If you are considering buying a hair prosthesis, either because of alopecia problems or because you are going to lose your hair as a side effect of a medical treatment such as chemotherapy, there are a number of aspects that you have to take into account. We will detail them below!
1. Consider your type of manufacturing
As you know, if we pay attention to the manufacturing method, in the market you can find Two types of hair prostheses:
- Customized hair prostheses: handmade manufacturing to produce a unique product and tailored to the customer. They are made by imitating the different amounts of hair according to the area, with incoming and outgoing imitating the births, swirls, etc. They can also be made with different shades of color. With all this an exact replica of the hair is made.
- Hair prostheses made with standard measures: parts that are made in chain in factories of Asian countries. These prostheses are made with standard measures and then trimmed to fit the shape of each client (but without incoming and outgoing). They are manufactured by implanting the same amount of hair throughout the piece and with only one shade of color.
Our recommendation is that you go to a center where you have the two options to see the main differences in situ and you can buy the hair prosthesis you need.
We also want to alert you that in some centers they say they sell customized prostheses but really what they do is adapt the standard pieces according to the client's form. They charge these prostheses as if they were custom made but in reality they are not. Don't give you a cat for a hare!
2. Consider the type of hair you have implanted
As a general rule Standard prostheses have Indian caliber hair implanted. This is a hair that measures 0.060 mm, thicker hair than we have. Instead, Tailored hair prostheses are made with 0.045mm European caliber hair. This hair does have the same caliber as ours. For this reason it contributes to the fact that in cases of cancer patients they do not notice a difference with their hair and in cases of partial alopecia the hair of the prosthesis can be integrated with theirs.
3. Consider the materials with which they are manufactured
A very important aspect to consider when buying a hair prosthesis is to take into account the materials with which it is manufactured.
In the case of The standard hair prostheses are based on synthetic materials with an important thickness since they are prepared to be trimmed. This is why the bases are usually 1.5 mm thick.
On the other hand, Hair prostheses made to measure in Beltrán Centers are made with totally hypoallergenic natural materials. The base is made with a very fine 0.03 mm cotton tulle so that the scalp transpires much better, does not create the hull effect and is much more undetectable.
4. Consider its duration
Another key aspect to consider is the duration of the piece. As we explained in our article "How long does a hair prosthesis last?" the Standard hair prostheses are about 6 months long while hair prostheses made to measure in Beltrán Centers last about 3 years performing proper maintenance.
It is a considerable time difference that you have to keep in mind when it comes to buy a hair prosthesis!
5. Consider the fastening system
There are different fastening systems for hair prostheses, choose the one that best suits your needs!
- Clips or combs that are sewn to the prosthesis and serve to hold it to the hair of the person wearing it. For this reason this option would not work for people who do not have their own hair underneath.
- With adhesives specially designed to hold them. It is the most widely used as it is an ultra-thin restraint system, which does not move, does not squeeze and allows a normal life. With these adhesives the prosthesis can be worn for up to 15 days and after this time it only requires changing them.
- The tying and integration system. It is a system by which the piece is attached to the client's hair by a very tight braid. This restraint system is not recommended since it is the most expensive, painful, it shows much more and ends up pulling the hair to stretch it so much.
6. Consider your comfort or degree of undetectability
All aspects discussed so far influence both the comfort and the undetectability of the hair prosthesis.
As you will have noticed, Hair prostheses made to measure as they are manufactured completely imitating the client's hair, there is no change in image at all and they integrate perfectly.
On the other hand, the fact that it is made with ultra-thin hypoallergenic materials makes the scalp perspire perfectly. And with respect to the fastening system if we attend to comfort, the most comfortable is the fastening by means of adhesives.
Now that we have explained all the aspects to take into account when buy a hair prosthesis Keep them clear when choosing your piece according to your needs. You already know that in Beltrán Centers we have been dedicated to the manufacture of these hair solutions since 1950, so if you have any questions, we are here to solve it!